Skip to main content

THE GOOD ABOUT COURSE #3 -- 3.9.4

Course #3 has generally set me well aligned with what the feature of lesson planning looks like. This course was generally less demanding compared to the previous one but had its ways of stretching you to limits. A reluctant student can actually have significant challenges in this course because it requires you to apply what you know as a trained teacher in the context of ASSURE (acronym for a list of things you need to do when preparing for a lesson i.e. lesson planning). This rather comprehensive model enables one to clearly envision ones lesson and probably more accurately discern pitfalls in the lesson or, on the bright side, look forward to a really exciting lesson. My knowledge in lesson planning has been rather shallow in the light of the ASSURE model of lesson planning. I could say that the only aspect of ASSURE model I identified from my previous list was the lesson objectives and methods of teaching but now I see the importance of Analysing learners, Stating objectives, Selecting the right media/materials/methods, use the media selected, request student participation and Evaluate learning.

The ASSURE model augments what was learnt in the previous lessons in course #3 which covered the use of different software applications like the common MS-OFFICE applications and how to get legitimate information from the internet. These lessons enable one to effortlessly manipulate offline and online applications and make effective use of them in lesson design. A very important thing was learning how to detect a website which provides credible information as opposed to one which does not. I have now started curating and gathering my information with ability to categorise this information in genre which I can easily access and use later on; Not to mention share with my colleagues and friends.

Above all is the greater opportunity  that I have got to discuss a number of course related materials and issues with my colleagues doing the same course. Course #3 gave even greater opportunity to work with colleagues in completing tasks given. I think there is need for me to make even more use of this group interaction if I am to learn more. I can now rest ASSURED!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring Your Own Device 7.5.4

I was not so familiar with BYOD until after this lesson. It was something that I associated with the corporate world (and not the classroom) - with big organisations allowing their employees to bring their own devices to work as a measure of motivating them with the feeling of greater contribution to the company. BYOD assumes many models in classroom learning which generally allow learners to bring their own devices to school. The devices brought may or may not be dictated upon by the school but, ideally, must be those that support the teaching and learning process. Looking at BYOD now in the classroom context,it is to me more of a challenge than an idea to implement. I see it as something that is long over due and I consider myself little bit behind schedule with a lot to get done. I have particularly taken interest in the cell phone as a device I feel would bring more success in meeting teaching and learning objectives in my classroom. Why you may ask? Well, it is a device that I ...

WebQuests -- A reflection 6.3.4

WebQuests are an exciting and valuable teaching tool. A well-planned WebQuest has guidance for students, a creative end project with room for flexibility, and links that help answer questions and positively add to the project. A strong WebQuest is designed for students to work independently, allowing the teacher to be a facilitator in students' learning rather than the sole dispenser of knowledge.  WebQuests also have the the adaptive dimension, the ability to make adjustments in educational programs to accommodate students' diverse learning needs. They are the therefore a wonderful way of capturing students' imagination and allowing them to explore in a guided, meaningful manner.  Communication, group work, problem solving, and critical and creative thinking skills are becoming far more important in today's world than having students memorize predetermined content. This is an emphasis of the 21st century skills which are designed to effectively integrate our ...

A PEAK INTO THE NEW - MY FIRST CCTI REVELATION 1.1.4

MY CAREER GOALS My understanding ICT integration into teaching and learning has been totally revolutionised in a recent experience. I love ICT and I am one of those who have been more or less addicted to gadgets - computers, phones and the like. However, after the CCTI introduction I can say that never in my career have I ever been so inspired to re-write my career goals as far as integration of ICT in education is concerned. As a matter of fact I should say never in my life have I been so inspired to write my learning goals as far as integration of ICT in teaching and learning is concerned. Why? Well for starters, I don't think I really knew what integration of ICT in education is until after the CCTI course introduction session. I saw 'the' video during the CCTI introduction session. The video made me know that it is more than showing students animated pictures, videos and using all kinds of computer applications to bring about learning. By you interacting with them thro...