Skip to main content

6.9.4 A summary of the Web quest Phase

My web quest was on communication (English) although it integrated elements of taxonomy (biology) and Primary Health Science. Along the way, I have gathered  so much to feed and grow my lesson design and management abilities. The web quest project prompted me to apply lessons learnt in other course sections in the CCTI course e.g. emphasis on application of learner centred technologies looked at during the innovative approaches to learning with technology course. This was used when learners were tasked to come up with an original communication model using the internet to browse and find out criteria used in selecting effective communication media. While at this, the learners would also get actively into using digital media skills to decipher the different graphics their colleagues came up with and vet them as accurate ways of communicating the health information that needed to be communicated.

Contrary to the usual Lecture Method I and a number of my colleagues have used on several occasions, the Learner centred approach in this web quest project has been very fascinating; even before it is implemented. I am now deeply  convicted that we should not wait to expose learners to real life situations when they are at Universities or other Tertiary institutions. Learners must begin to feel the relevance of their learning as soon as they can read and write. For example in using English language skills to design a very relevant communication model, a learner would be motivated by the thought of his skills being used to solve a global health problem.

I am challenged largely because of the following reasons drawn from the assessment lesson:

  • Assessment can be done at almost all stages; not waiting for the end of the lesson or topic or sub-topic. This is because the learners are engaged throughout.
  • Assessment is more holistic covering all content domains. So a skill, value or cognitive ability you could have easily missed in your summative evaluation can be captured during this learner engagement experience.
  • Also on assessment is that learners do not experience the usual mental stress which makes the assessment results rather invalid.

I have always battled with motivating my learners. Coming up with relevant jokes every now and again can sustain attention but not for long. I can only imagine what passion learners will now have when engaged in a term wide project which makes their classroom learnt content relevant after all. A used to be boring lesson will now be taught without the ('boring') teacher. Learners will definitely buy in to this.


I plan to look at another thrilling webquest where learners investigate the case of  Dominic Ongwen; a former LRA abductee and rebel under Rebel leader Kony. In this web quest they will look at both the implications of prosecuting the rebel leader and granting him amnesty. They will thoroughly look at the amnesty law, effects of the war, effects of releasing the former war lord and obtain a position while weighing the different view points surrounding the former rebel. They interview the masses and legal gurus and consider their view points on the matter before reaching a final position backed by evidence obtained. Sounds interesting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring Your Own Device 7.5.4

I was not so familiar with BYOD until after this lesson. It was something that I associated with the corporate world (and not the classroom) - with big organisations allowing their employees to bring their own devices to work as a measure of motivating them with the feeling of greater contribution to the company. BYOD assumes many models in classroom learning which generally allow learners to bring their own devices to school. The devices brought may or may not be dictated upon by the school but, ideally, must be those that support the teaching and learning process. Looking at BYOD now in the classroom context,it is to me more of a challenge than an idea to implement. I see it as something that is long over due and I consider myself little bit behind schedule with a lot to get done. I have particularly taken interest in the cell phone as a device I feel would bring more success in meeting teaching and learning objectives in my classroom. Why you may ask? Well, it is a device that I ...

WebQuests -- A reflection 6.3.4

WebQuests are an exciting and valuable teaching tool. A well-planned WebQuest has guidance for students, a creative end project with room for flexibility, and links that help answer questions and positively add to the project. A strong WebQuest is designed for students to work independently, allowing the teacher to be a facilitator in students' learning rather than the sole dispenser of knowledge.  WebQuests also have the the adaptive dimension, the ability to make adjustments in educational programs to accommodate students' diverse learning needs. They are the therefore a wonderful way of capturing students' imagination and allowing them to explore in a guided, meaningful manner.  Communication, group work, problem solving, and critical and creative thinking skills are becoming far more important in today's world than having students memorize predetermined content. This is an emphasis of the 21st century skills which are designed to effectively integrate our ...

A PEAK INTO THE NEW - MY FIRST CCTI REVELATION 1.1.4

MY CAREER GOALS My understanding ICT integration into teaching and learning has been totally revolutionised in a recent experience. I love ICT and I am one of those who have been more or less addicted to gadgets - computers, phones and the like. However, after the CCTI introduction I can say that never in my career have I ever been so inspired to re-write my career goals as far as integration of ICT in education is concerned. As a matter of fact I should say never in my life have I been so inspired to write my learning goals as far as integration of ICT in teaching and learning is concerned. Why? Well for starters, I don't think I really knew what integration of ICT in education is until after the CCTI course introduction session. I saw 'the' video during the CCTI introduction session. The video made me know that it is more than showing students animated pictures, videos and using all kinds of computer applications to bring about learning. By you interacting with them thro...