Skip to main content

I AM A SMARTER WORKER --- 1.2.4

I truly feel a smarter worker. This is because I have learnt that social media can actually be used by teachers and educators to help them guide the learning process and also to help them get more knowledge about their work from a large number of like minded educators out there. I have been using some social media tools like Facebook, Twitter, etc. but never did I think that they were that useful to me as an educator. I now see the benefit. I also see that you can use #hashtags, make direct messages, re-tweet etc using twitter. Google plus is having, according to me, quite a number of features which I still need to burrow into and probably see how to work out but it won't take long before I have mastered it. The  interface in the video tutorial looks very different from the one on my browser but I can still pick up some useful ideas. Facebook is something I have spent some time on but after reading about it through one of the links, I see there is still some bit to learn.

Concerning steps to be taken next: I think I should complete the assignment in 1.2.3 first because through it I will become better at using these social network tools. I have chosen to use twitter and google plus; I had wanted to use facebook but I seem to have very many followers there and I may fail to single out the feeds coming from the educators I like or I am following. I know there is a way to filter these out and if I figure that out soon enough, I could probably use facebook anyway. I still do not know much about skype, it seems to also consume much of my airtime; it almost drained out my internet bundle - few megabytes left now!

One other thing, I know this was not so much among the things I was supposed to reflect but I seem to be really getting good at blogging. I can now add some links in the blog. Awesome!

EDWARD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring Your Own Device 7.5.4

I was not so familiar with BYOD until after this lesson. It was something that I associated with the corporate world (and not the classroom) - with big organisations allowing their employees to bring their own devices to work as a measure of motivating them with the feeling of greater contribution to the company. BYOD assumes many models in classroom learning which generally allow learners to bring their own devices to school. The devices brought may or may not be dictated upon by the school but, ideally, must be those that support the teaching and learning process. Looking at BYOD now in the classroom context,it is to me more of a challenge than an idea to implement. I see it as something that is long over due and I consider myself little bit behind schedule with a lot to get done. I have particularly taken interest in the cell phone as a device I feel would bring more success in meeting teaching and learning objectives in my classroom. Why you may ask? Well, it is a device that I ...

WebQuests -- A reflection 6.3.4

WebQuests are an exciting and valuable teaching tool. A well-planned WebQuest has guidance for students, a creative end project with room for flexibility, and links that help answer questions and positively add to the project. A strong WebQuest is designed for students to work independently, allowing the teacher to be a facilitator in students' learning rather than the sole dispenser of knowledge.  WebQuests also have the the adaptive dimension, the ability to make adjustments in educational programs to accommodate students' diverse learning needs. They are the therefore a wonderful way of capturing students' imagination and allowing them to explore in a guided, meaningful manner.  Communication, group work, problem solving, and critical and creative thinking skills are becoming far more important in today's world than having students memorize predetermined content. This is an emphasis of the 21st century skills which are designed to effectively integrate our ...

A PEAK INTO THE NEW - MY FIRST CCTI REVELATION 1.1.4

MY CAREER GOALS My understanding ICT integration into teaching and learning has been totally revolutionised in a recent experience. I love ICT and I am one of those who have been more or less addicted to gadgets - computers, phones and the like. However, after the CCTI introduction I can say that never in my career have I ever been so inspired to re-write my career goals as far as integration of ICT in education is concerned. As a matter of fact I should say never in my life have I been so inspired to write my learning goals as far as integration of ICT in teaching and learning is concerned. Why? Well for starters, I don't think I really knew what integration of ICT in education is until after the CCTI course introduction session. I saw 'the' video during the CCTI introduction session. The video made me know that it is more than showing students animated pictures, videos and using all kinds of computer applications to bring about learning. By you interacting with them thro...