Skip to main content

Collaboration 5.5.4

I can now distinguish between  two things: collaboration and effective collaboration. In principle, I have known and practiced collaboration but rarely taken into account that the activities that comprise the collaboration could have either been replaced with better ones - more effective in realising  lesson objectives - or refined to make them more effective. Several lessons tend to put the cart before the horse by asking the wrong questions like "How can I make my lesson more collaborative?", "What technology can I use to make this lesson 'better'? etc. Instead, it would have been important to ask questions like: "How can I make collaboration make me realise my lesson objectives?" and the like. Collaboration should not be seen as an element of a lesson but as the defining theme of the lesson.
The whole lesson or set of lessons is one collaborative process or set of collaborative processes harmonised by the teacher to cultivate the desired experience in the learner. The teacher's role in this process is to set the scene and prompt the learners thinking in every possible way and, later, to adjudicate over the collaboration process as the knowledge is created, reorganized and shared - this , of course, using several tools like ipads, laptops, google docs, wikis etc. Current real-time communication tools allow students to exchange ideas in a manner that more closely approximates the face-to-face experience.
Collaboration should employ social skills which enable all learners to have their say and for the class or group (s) to reach consensus on how the final work should look like. Knowledge, skills and values learnt through collaboration should be used to solve real world problems and yield lasting results. Learners should be able to see the relationship between what they are collaborating to produce in class and the experiences around them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring Your Own Device 7.5.4

I was not so familiar with BYOD until after this lesson. It was something that I associated with the corporate world (and not the classroom) - with big organisations allowing their employees to bring their own devices to work as a measure of motivating them with the feeling of greater contribution to the company. BYOD assumes many models in classroom learning which generally allow learners to bring their own devices to school. The devices brought may or may not be dictated upon by the school but, ideally, must be those that support the teaching and learning process. Looking at BYOD now in the classroom context,it is to me more of a challenge than an idea to implement. I see it as something that is long over due and I consider myself little bit behind schedule with a lot to get done. I have particularly taken interest in the cell phone as a device I feel would bring more success in meeting teaching and learning objectives in my classroom. Why you may ask? Well, it is a device that I ...

WebQuests -- A reflection 6.3.4

WebQuests are an exciting and valuable teaching tool. A well-planned WebQuest has guidance for students, a creative end project with room for flexibility, and links that help answer questions and positively add to the project. A strong WebQuest is designed for students to work independently, allowing the teacher to be a facilitator in students' learning rather than the sole dispenser of knowledge.  WebQuests also have the the adaptive dimension, the ability to make adjustments in educational programs to accommodate students' diverse learning needs. They are the therefore a wonderful way of capturing students' imagination and allowing them to explore in a guided, meaningful manner.  Communication, group work, problem solving, and critical and creative thinking skills are becoming far more important in today's world than having students memorize predetermined content. This is an emphasis of the 21st century skills which are designed to effectively integrate our ...

A PEAK INTO THE NEW - MY FIRST CCTI REVELATION 1.1.4

MY CAREER GOALS My understanding ICT integration into teaching and learning has been totally revolutionised in a recent experience. I love ICT and I am one of those who have been more or less addicted to gadgets - computers, phones and the like. However, after the CCTI introduction I can say that never in my career have I ever been so inspired to re-write my career goals as far as integration of ICT in education is concerned. As a matter of fact I should say never in my life have I been so inspired to write my learning goals as far as integration of ICT in teaching and learning is concerned. Why? Well for starters, I don't think I really knew what integration of ICT in education is until after the CCTI course introduction session. I saw 'the' video during the CCTI introduction session. The video made me know that it is more than showing students animated pictures, videos and using all kinds of computer applications to bring about learning. By you interacting with them thro...